Monday, February 1, 2016

Procrastination Switch -- HSMC 2016, January

The Historical Sew Monthly Challenge for January was Procrastination. I was planning to finish my major put-off, the 1830s stays I really need to go under the 1830s dress I have planned, but will have to keep them on hold a while longer. I have to travel about 50 miles to go to a fabric store and this has not been the month to do that.

So I turned to another project I've had languishing in a bag - a 1910s sweater jacket. I love to knit and do a lot of it during the winter months. I really like the big sweater look of the late 1910s and early 20s. In my climate, a large cardigan is such a practical garment, keeping off the chill indoors over the winter, and great for outdoors in spring and fall. My ex-hubby's grandmother was an Old Order Mennonite born in 1900 and told me about the debate over women wearing cardigan sweaters when she was a teenager. They were so practical, but obviously a modern fashion, so some people thought they should be avoided. Practicality won the day, and she was glad.

Here is the sweater I wanted to copy. It's from the Columbia Book of Yarns by Anna Schumacker, dated 1915, and the pattern is available here for free. I colored the photo to match the yarn I used. The body is a deep brown with tweed flecks of yellow, red, orange, and blue. The trimming is bright yellow wool, all knitted in garter stitch, and it really brings out the yellow flecks. 


Here is my new sweater! I can see I will be wearing this a lot.

January, 2016
The Challenge: Procrastination
Material: 100% Wool yarn, worsted weight. Brown tweed and solid yellow.
Pattern: Ladies’ Knitted Sweater from The Columbia Book of Yarns, Anna Schumacker, 1915.
Year: 1915
Notions: 6 vegetable ivory buttons
How historically accurate is it? 100%
Hours to complete: Too many to count!
First worn: Today
Total cost: Thrift store finds


1 comment:

  1. How wonderful! I've made a couple of sweaters from the 1910s patterns, and I find them so interesting in construction and look. I really like the lines of them. Yours is so wonderful--I hope it keeps you nice and warm!!

    ReplyDelete